BRADBY, a chapelry, in the parish of Repton, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (E.) from Burton; containing 298 inhabitants. Near the chapel is the site of a baronial mansion, which was fortified by royal licence in the year 1300. The materials are supposed to have been used by the first earl of Chesterfield in the erection of a residence which he garrisoned for the king in 1642, and which, after a short defence, was captured by a strong detachment sent by Col. Gell; it was taken down in 1780. The living is a donative; net income, £80; patron, the Earl of Chesterfield. The inhabitants marry and bury at Repton.