Bradborne (All Saints)
BRADBORNE (All Saints), a parish, partly in the hundred of Appletree, but chiefly in that of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Ashbourn; comprising the township of Aldwark, the chapelries of Atlow, Ballidon, and Brassington, and the hamlet of Lea-Hall; and containing 1303 inhabitants, of whom 187 are in Bradborne township. The manor was one of those belonging to Henry de Ferrers at the time of the Domesday survey; in the reign of John it was conveyed to the Bradborne family, of whom Henry de Bradborne was executed at Pomfret, in 1322, for his adhesion to Thomas, Earl of Lancaster. In Elizabeth's reign the manor came to Sir Humphrey Ferrers; and subsequently to the noble family of Townshend, and the family of Gell of Hopton Hall. The parish abounds with limestone. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 4.; net income, £119; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes of the township of Bradborne have been commuted for £144. 15., whereof £37. 10. are payable to the impropriator, and £107. 5. to the vicar: there are two acres of glebe, with a glebehouse. At Brassington and Atlow are separate incumbencies, and at Ballidon a chapel of ease. A school is partly supported by subscription: a school-house was built by W. Evans, Esq., in 1844.