BRACKENFIELD, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Morton, union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 4 miles (N. W.) from Alfreton; containing 459 inhabitants. The family of Heriz possessed Brackenfield, then called Brackenthwayte, in the reign of King John; it afterwards became the property of the Willoughbys, and in later times of the Turbutt family. The district comprises 1557a. 24p., whereof 452 acres are arable, 905 pasture, and 63 wood: it is skirted by the Midland railway. Framework knitting is carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Morton; net income, £32, derived from the interest of £1000, Queen Anne's Bounty. A rent-charge of £176. 15. has been awarded as a commutation of the tithes. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was rebuilt in 1846. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists; and a national school, for which a house was built in 1844, is supported by subscription.