Boynton (St. Andrew)
BOYNTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 2 miles (W. by N.) from Bridlington; containing 100 inhabitants. It is on the road from Bridlington to Malton, and comprises by computation 2100 acres, the property of Sir George Strickland, Bart.; the family were anciently seated at Strickland, in the county of Westmorland, but the principal branch has been settled here more than two centuries. Boynton Hall, the residence of the baronet, is a lofty and handsome mansion, beautifully situated upon an eminence in a richly wooded park; the acclivities present some fine plantations, and a large sheet of water ornaments the grounds. On an elevated ridge, south of the Hall, is a pavilion erected by the late Sir George, from which is obtained an extensive prospect both of sea and land, particularly of Bridlington bay and the eastern heights of the Wolds. The village is in the vale of a rivulet flowing in an eastern direction to the coast. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £7. 14. 2., and in the patronage of Sir George Strickland, the impropriator, with a net income of £141: land and a money payment were assigned in 1777, in lieu of tithes. The church, which was rebuilt in the early part of the last century, consists of a nave and chancel, with a handsome tower; in the chancel are several monuments to the Strickland family.