Boylestone (St. John The Baptist)
BOYLESTONE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Uttoxeter, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Uttoxeter; containing 343 inhabitants. The manor is described in the Domesday survey as one of the possessions of Henry de Ferrars. It was afterwards held in moieties, which became for a time separate manors; the Cotton family possessed it for many generations, and it subsequently came to the Fitzherberts, Venables, Grosvenors, and others. The parish comprises 1700 acres, mostly pasture and dairy-farms; the surface is undulated, and the soil marl. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 2.; net income, £260; patron, the Rev. W. Hurst: an allotment of land, and money payments, were assigned in 1783 in lieu of tithes. The church is a neat structure in the early English style, with a square Flemish tower, and stands very picturesquely; it was restored in 18434, at a cost of £550. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. An excellent school-house, with a residence for the master and mistress attached, was built in 1844, at a cost of £570; the site was purchased and presented by John Broadhurst, Esq., of Acton: the schools are on the national plan.