Bowden, Little (St. Nicholas)
BOWDEN, LITTLE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Market-Harborough, hundred of Rothwell, N. division of the county of Northampton, ½ a mile (E. S. E.) from Harborough; containing, with the hamlet of Little Oxendon, 439 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the border of Leicestershire, from which it is separated by the river Welland; and comprises by computation 2366a. 2r. 10p., of which three-fourths are pasture, and one-fourth arable, the surface being moderately undulated, and the soil of the most productive quality. It is closely connected with Harborough by means of two bridges over the Welland, and the roads from that town to Northampton and Kettering intersect the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 4. 2.; net income, £293; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Barlow. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1779.