Bow, or Nymett-Tracey (St. Bartholomew)
BOW, or Nymett-Tracey (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Crediton, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 7¼ miles (W. by N.) from Crediton; containing 973 inhabitants. The manor anciently belonged to the Tracey family, one of whom, Henry Tracey, obtained in 1258 the grant of a weekly market, and an annual fair: both of these have been discontinued; but fairs for cattle are held on the 9th of March, the 20th of May, and 22nd of November. The parish comprises 2339 acres; 958 are common or waste. The living, to which that of Broad Nymett has been annexed, is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 8. 9., and in the patronage of F. Vandermeulen, Esq.: the tithes of Bow have been commuted for £370, and the glebe comprises 80 acres. The church is a neat edifice.