Bourn (St. Mary)
BOURN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Longstow, county of Cambridge, 1¾ mile (S. E. by E.) from Caxton; containing 909 inhabitants. Here was a castle, which was destroyed during the war with the barons in the reign of Henry III. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 10., and in the gift of Christ's College, Cambridge: the great tithes, belonging to the college, have been commuted for £593, with a glebe of 219 acres, and the incumbent's tithes for £188. 13., with a glebe of 4 acres. A school, established in 1819, is endowed by the Countess De la Warr with £20 per annum. A mineral spring here was formerly in high repute.