Boughton-Monchelsea (St. Peter)
BOUGHTON-MONCHELSEA (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Eyhorne, and extending into the hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Maidstone; containing 1106 inhabitants. It comprises 2296 acres, and is intersected by a ridge of hills, the summit of which forms the northern boundary of the Weald of Kent, and on the southern declivity of which are several stone-quarries. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 4.; net income, £395; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church, a small edifice with a handsome tower, has been partly rebuilt, the body of it having been destroyed by fire in 1832; there are some remarkable monuments, especially one to the memory of Sir Christopher Powell.