BOUGHTON, a parish, in the union of Southwell, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 1¾ mile (N. E. by E.) from Ollerton; containing 309 inhabitants, and comprising 1750 acres. About 135 acres are common, and 50 wood. The parish is intersected by the river Maun, over which a bridge was erected by subscription in 1812, the ford that previously existed being often dangerous. On the bank of the river is a deep cavity, in the rock of red sandstone, called Robin Hood's Cave, near which is New England, a district of about 50 acres, inclosed from the forest land many years ago. The village is small and scattered, and is situated at the foot of Cockin Hill, a steep acclivity which forms the east side of the parish, and the boundary of the South Clay division. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Kneesall: the church is a plain building, with a belfry turret. The Baptists have a place of worship.