Bottesford (St. Peter)
BOTTESFORD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, partly in the W., but chiefly in the E., division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7 miles (W.) from Glandford-Brigg; containing, with the townships of Ashby, Bottesford, Burringham, Holme, Yaddlethorpe, and part of East Butterwick, 1586 inhabitants, of whom 153 are in Bottesford township. The parish is of considerable size; much of the land is fertile, and of various qualities of soil, but a great extent is sterile and swampy moor, some portions of which, however, have been lately improved by draining, and by warpage from the Trent. The living is a discharged vicarage, united in 1727 to the vicarage of Messingham, and valued in the king's books at £10: the tithes of Ashby, Bottesford, and Yaddlethorpe, were commuted for land and cornrents, under an inclosure act, in 1794; and those of Burringham, Holme, and East Butterwick, have been commuted for a rent-charge. The church is an ancient structure of a mixed character of architecture, with a square tower, and Norman porch. There are places of worship at Ashby and Burringham for Wesleyans, and one at Yaddlethorpe for Primitive Methodists.