Bottesford (St. Mary)
BOTTESFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Grantham, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Grantham; containing, with the hamlets of Easthorpe and Normanton, 1375 inhabitants. From the discovery of various relics of antiquity, this place is supposed to have been occupied by the Romans. The Grantham canal passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £51. 5.; net income, £993; patron, the Duke of Rutland: the tithes were commuted for land in 1770. The church is a spacious cruciform structure, with a tower supporting a spire at the western end; it has been the burial-place of the noble family of Manners since the dissolution of monasteries, at which period several monuments to the memory of deceased members of that family were removed hither from the conventual church at Belvoir. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. In 1711, the Rev. Abel Ligonier and Anthony Ravell bequeathed 32 acres of land, for teaching 28 boys; the schoolmaster receives from the charity £31. 10. per annum, and instructs other children.