Bossall (St. Botolph)
BOSSALL (St. Botolph), a parish, partly in the wapentake of Birdforth, but chiefly in that of Bulmer, N. riding of York; consisting of the chapelries of Butter-Crambe, Claxton, and Sand-Hutton, and the townships of Bossall, Harton, and part of Flaxton-on-the-Moor; and containing 1184 inhabitants, of whom 77 are in the township of Bossall, 4 miles (S.) from Whitwell. The parish comprises 9820 acres; and is bounded by the river Derwent on the south and east, and intersected by the road from York to Scarborough. The village was formerly large, but at present consists of only three or four houses: foundations of buildings have been discovered in an adjoining field, thence called "Old Bossall." Courts leet are held for the several manors in the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12; net income, £445; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is a handsome cruciform structure, with a steeple rising from the centre. There are chapels at Sand-Hutton, Claxton, and Butter-Crambe.