BOSLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 4¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Congleton; containing 552 inhabitants. The manor passed in 1327 to Isabel, mother of Edward III., and from Henry VI. came by grant to the Stanleys in 1454: it was afterwards held by Lord Monteagle, the hero of Flodden; passed to the Fittons about 1540; and is now vested in their successor, the Earl of Harrington. The chapelry is situated on the road from Manchester to Derby, and comprises about 2500 acres; it is skirted by the river Daine, and intersected by the Macclesfield canal. There are a silk-spinning factory and a cottonmill, in which upwards of 100 people are employed. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £82; patron, the Vicar of Prestbury: the glebe comprises about 30 acres.