Borden (St. Peter and St. Paul)
BORDEN (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 2¾ miles (W. by S.) from Sittingbourne; containing 860 inhabitants, and comprising 2143a. 2r. 37p., of which 374 acres are in wood. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 10., and in the gift of J. Musgrave, Esq., the impropriator: the great tithes have been commuted for £550, and the vicarial for £270; there are about 3½ acres of glebe, with a residence. The church, a handsome structure of flint, supposed to have been erected about the year 1005, comprises three aisles and three chancels, with a square tower at the western end. There are some Roman bricks mixed with the flint stones in the building, and cemented with mortar in the composition of which pulverized cockle-shells have been used; the chief entrance is under a Norman arch, and similar specimens of architecture occur in other parts of the edifice. In 1707, William Barrow left land for the benefit of widows and families who have never received parochial relief; the estates, which are in several parishes, return an income of £1500 a year. A British coin, and several relics of Roman antiquity, together with a great quantity of round stones, like cannon-balls, have been found in the neighbourhood; and Danes Hill, in the parish, is supposed to have taken its name from a great battle fought here when the Danes held a fort at Milton, some traces of which are still to be seen. Dr. Robert Plot, the natural historian of Oxfordshire and Staffordshire, was born at the manor-house of Sutton Baron, in the parish, where he died on April 13th, 1696.