BOOTHS, HIGHER, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union of Haslingden, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (N.) from Rawtenstall, and 2½ (N. N. E.) from Haslingden; containing 3652 inhabitants. This township comprises 2606 acres of land; it is on the road from Manchester to Burnley, and includes the villages of Goodshaw-Booth, Goodshaw-Fold, Crawshaw-Booth, Low-Clough, and Sunny-Side, all of them within the district of Rossendale. The tenures are copyhold, of the honour of Clitheroe. Coal and stone are wrought; there are two extensive calico-printing establishments, and many cotton-mills. Among the more remarkable residences in the township are, Crawshaw-Booth Hall, an ancient stone building; Rake; and Low-Clough; and near the print-works at Sunny-Side, are the elegant mansions of their owners. Goodshaw has a chapel, to which a district has been assigned, co-extensive with the township: the living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150; patrons, the Hulme Trustees. The chapel stands on Morrell Height; it was erected in the reign of Henry VIII., and rebuilt in 1829. The Wesleyans, Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Society of Friends have places of worship; and there are several schools, one of which, situated at Crawshaw-Booth, and in connexion with the Church, was built in 18356.