Booth, Old Laund
BOOTH, OLD LAUND, a township, in the chapelry of Newchurch-in-Pendle, parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (N.) from Burnley; containing 481 inhabitants. It lies on the north-east side of Pendle forest, and consists of 246 acres, with scattered houses amidst tolerably wooded pastures. Old Laund Hall is a very ancient stronglybuilt fabric; it was some time since purchased by Mr. Greenwood, of Palace House, from the lords of Clitheroe. A church dedicated to St. Anne was built at Fence, in Old Laund, in 1837, and endowed by the late Mrs. Holden, of Palace House: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Holden family. There is a national school.