Bookham, Great (St. Nicholas)
BOOKHAM, GREAT (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Epsom, hundred of Effingham, W. division of Surrey, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Leatherhead; containing 963 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3242 acres, of which 1446 are arable, 629 meadow and pasture, 264 woodland, 105 acres gardens and buildings, 23 public road, and 775 common. Within the parish is the estate of Polesden, which was the property of Sheridan, soon after whose decease it was purchased by Joseph Bonsor, Esq., whose son, of the same name, is the present possessor. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a moiety of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 3½.; patron, the Rev. W. Heberden. The rectorial tithe rent-charge is £442, and the vicarial £165; there are 12 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, and contains numerous handsome monuments. Sir George Shiers, Bart., in 1690 bequeathed a rent-charge of £36. 3. for apprenticing children, and other charitable purposes.