Bonnington (St. Rumwald)
BONNINGTON (St. Rumwald), a parish, in the union of East Ashford, partly in the liberty of Romney-Marsh, but chiefly in the hundred of Street, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 7 miles (S. E. by S.) from Ashford; containing 155 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1086 acres, of which 615 are pasture, 330 arable, 36 woodland, and 20 acres hops; and is situated in the undulated slope which lies between the Quarry hills on the north, and the extensive level of Romney-Marsh on the south. The surface is pleasingly diversified, chiefly with pasture and wood; the soil is a stiff clay. The Grand Military, or Shorncliffe and Rye, canal crosses the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 12. 8½.; net income, £125; patron, T. Papillon, Esq.: there are about 20 acres of glebe. The church is small.