Bolton-Percy (All Saints)
BOLTON-PERCY (All Saints), a parish, in the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York; containing 1040 inhabitants, of whom 241 are in the township of Bolton-Percy, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Tadcaster. This parish, which is bounded on the south-west by the river Wharfe, comprises the four townships of Bolton-Percy, Appleton-Roebuck, Colton, and Steeton; and contains about 7320 acres. The soil is generally a strong clay, with portions of a lighter kind; the surface is level, and interspersed with small plantations and woods. Bricks and tiles are manufactured. The York and North-Midland railway passes through the parish, in which is a station. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £39. 15. 2½.; net income, £1540; patron, the Archbishop of York. The church, built in 1423, by Thomas Parker, rector, is a neat structure with a square tower; it is decorated with a quantity of stained glass, and contains several monuments to the Fairfax family.