BOLLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Macclesfield; containing 4350 inhabitants. In this township are 1120 acres, of a sandy and a clayey soil. The village lies on the banks of a small stream called the Bolling, from which its name is derived. For more than twenty years it has been exceedingly prosperous: there are cotton and silk factories, and collieries; and at Kerridge Hill, which is partly in this township and partly in that of Rainow, are quarries of freestone and slate, worked to a considerable extent, the produce being chiefly sent to the neighbouring towns. The Macclesfield canal passes through the township. A district church dedicated to St. John, erected by grant from the Parliamentary Commissioners, was consecrated July 7th, 1834: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar, with a net income of £174. The Wesleyans have a meeting-house.