Bolingbroke (St. Peter and St. Paul)
BOLINGBROKE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, W. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 30 miles (E. S. E.) from Lincoln, and 129 (N.) from London; containing 919 inhabitants. A castle was built by William de Romara, Earl of Lincoln, of which his descendant, Alicia de Lacey, was dispossessed by Edward II. Henry IV. was born in this fortress, and from it took the name of Henry of Bolingbroke: it was nearly demolished in the civil wars, the south-west tower being all that remains. At this period also the church suffered so considerably, that it was almost reduced to a ruin; one aisle of it only has been rebuilt, at the corner of which is a low tower. Bolingbroke is situated in a wide and pleasant valley, near the source of a small river which runs into the Witham: the public road passing through the town to Spilsby, has been superseded by a new line about two miles distant, which ascends Keal Hill. There is a manufactory for earthenware. The market formerly held on Tuesday has been discontinued, but a fair is still held on St. Peter's day. The living is a discharged rectory, to which that of Hareby was united in 1739, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 2., and in the gift of the family of Bosanquet: the glebe consists of 345 acres, the income of which amounts to £456; and an excellent parsonage-house has lately been built, at a cost of £2000. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a free school, with a trifling endowment in land. The village and district of New Bolingbroke have lately risen up on lands in the fen belonging to Bolingbroke; a curate has been appointed by the rector.