Bole (St. Martin)
BOLE (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 3½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Gainsborough; containing 191 inhabitants. It comprises about 1460 acres of land, of which the soil is a strong clay producing excellent red wheat, and the surface flat and liable to inundations from the river Trent, which divides the parish from the county of Lincoln. The Bole ferry is now a mile distant from the village; the river, about twenty years ago, having formed a new course. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £84; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln: there are 20 acres of glebe. The church is a small ancient structure, and has a handsome pinnacled tower with three bells.