BOLD, a township, in the parish and union of Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles (E. S. E.) from Prescot; containing 712 inhabitants. The family of Bold resided here even previously to the Conquest, and preserved an uninterrupted succession of male heirs down to the time of Peter Bold, Esq., parliamentary representative for the county, who died in 1761. The whole estate passed, in 1803, from his daughter Anna Maria to the husband of her sister, Thomas Patten, Esq., who assumed the name of Bold; and by an heiress of the latter family, it became vested in the Hoghtons, of Hoghton Tower. The present elegant mansion of Bold Hall was built after a design by Leoni: the old Hall, a curious edifice, is now the farming-house belonging to it. The township comprises 4261 acres of land. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £335. 17., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the vicarial for £117. 19. 5. The Rev. Richard Barnes, promoted to the see of Carlisle in 1570, and to that of Durham in 1577; and his brother, John Barnes, the chancellor, were natives of the place.