Bolas, Great (St. John the Baptist)
BOLAS, GREAT (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Wellington, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 7 miles (N.) from Wellington; containing 288 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Wellington to Drayton, comprises by measurement 1845 acres; the surface is pleasingly varied, and watered by the rivers Mees and Terne, which add greatly to the fertility of the soil and beauty of the scenery. There are two quarries of red sandstone, used for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 4½., and in the patronage of Lord Hill: the tithes have been commuted for £330, and there are about 49 acres of glebe. The church is a plain neat edifice, of comparatively modern erection, and in good repair.