BOLAM, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Auckland, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 119 inhabitants. It is situated on a lofty ridge of limestone, commanding an extensive prospect to the south and west; and comprises 950 acres, of which 500 are arable, 438 grass land, and 12 wood: the soil, with a trifling exception of cold clay, is productive. The township is remarkable for a whinstone dyke, which proves itself to be of later formation than the coal-field through which it runs, as the coal is, on both sides of the stone where they have come in contact, converted into cinders: quarries are worked, supplying a material for the repair of roads. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £62. 10., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the vicarial for £46. 10. A chapel has been recently erected. William Garth, father of the celebrated Sir Samuel, physician and poet, was a landowner in the place; and the name of the family occurs twice in the parochial register of Gainford in the year 1747.