Boddington, Lower and Upper (St. John the Baptist)
BODDINGTON, LOWER and UPPER (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Banbury, hundred of Chipping-Warden, S. division of the county of Northampton, 9¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Daventry; containing 675 inhabitants, of whom 324 are in the lower, and 351 in the upper, division. The parish is situated on the confines of Oxfordshire and Warwickshire, the three-shire-stone which marks the bounds of the respective counties being at its western extremity. It comprises 3020a. 3r. 31p., of which 1721a. 34p. are in Upper, and 1299a. 2r. 37p. in Lower, Boddington; of the former number 1286 acres are pasture, and the remainder arable, and of the latter 1088 are pasture, and the remainder arable. The surface is diversified by several elevations, and the soil is in general clayey. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20, and in the gift of Emmanuel College, Cambridge; net income, £850, derived from 470 acres of land: there is a glebe-house. The church is a very ancient edifice, with a square tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The family of Lupworth, in 1600, gave 18 acres of land to the poor of Upper Boddington, who now occupy it in garden plots; the annual rent is £38, with which coal is purchased, and distributed to the poor on St. Thomas's day. Richard Lamprey, in 1758, gave a tenement for a school-house; and the interest of £300, being the amount of different benefactions, is paid to a master for instructing poor children.