Bockleton (St. Michael)
BOCKLETON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, chiefly in the Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Tenbury and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, but partly in the hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S.) from Tenbury; containing, with the hamlet of Hampton-Charles in the latter county, 358 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2440 acres, of which 1026 are pasture, 936 arable, and 88 woodland; there are also some cider orchards and hop-grounds. The soil is in general a reddish clay, on a substratum of coarse limestone or freestone; and the surface is gently undulated. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £127; patrons, the Gibson family: the glebe consists of rather more than 100 acres. The church, a substantial edifice of stone, has a chancel at the east end, a tower, and two Norman doorways on the north and south; it has lately undergone considerable repair. There is a national school.