Bobbing (St. Bartholomew)
BOBBING (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 1¼ mile (W. by N.) from Milton; containing 404 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1070 acres, of which 157 are in wood. A fair is held on September 4th. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the gift of the Rev. G. Simpson, who is also impropriator of one-third of the parish; the remainder is impropriate in R. Hinde, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £194. 12., and the vicarial for £140; there are 35 acres of glebe. The church is composed of two aisles, two chancels, and a western tower. A benefaction of £50 from Ann Gibbon has been invested in land, now producing £6. 6. per annum, for which seven girls are instructed. At Keystreet, a small hamlet in the parish, corruptly so called from Caius'-street (Caii Stratum), a Roman highway, is a gravel-pit of unusual size and depth, from which the Romans perhaps obtained part of the materials for making the road.