BLURTON, a parish, in the union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Newcastleunder-Lyme; containing 876 inhabitants. This place was till lately a chapelry in the parish of Trentham, but is now a distinct parish, under the 58th of George III., cap. 45. Within its limits are the inclosed district of Lightwood Forest, and the hamlets of Cocknidge, Cow-Ridding, and Spratslade. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £189; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Sutherland. The royal arms in the church are among the few in the country that survived the great rebellion, being of the date of 1629.