Bloxham (St. Mary)
BLOXHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Banbury, hundred of Bloxham, county of Oxford, 3 miles (S. W. by S.) from Banbury; containing, with the chapelry of Milcombe, 1543 inhabitants. A pettysession is held once every month. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 9. 4., and in the gift of Eton College, with a net income of £262: land and annual money payments were assigned in lieu of tithes in the 39th and 40th of George III. The church, which is justly admired for loftiness of elevation and beauty of design, was greatly damaged during the war between the houses of York and Lancaster, but was repaired in the reign of Henry VIII., and beautified by Cardinal Wolsey. It is principally in the early and decorated English styles, with some Norman remains, and has a highly enriched tower of four stages, strengthened by angular buttresses ornamented with canopied niches rising to the third stage; the fourth stage, of smaller dimensions, gradually becomes octagonal, corresponding with the lofty crocketed spire by which it is surmounted. At Milcombe is a chapel of ease; and there is a place of worship in the parish for Baptists; also a free school established in 1831. which was endowed by the will of Mr. Job Faulkner with the interest of £666. 13. 4. three per cent. consols.