Blisworth (St. John the Baptist)
BLISWORTH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Towcester, hundred of Wymmersley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Northampton; containing 882 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Northampton to Towcester, and comprises 1914 acres, including 50 acres occupied by the London and Birmingham railway, the annual value of which property in the parish is returned at £2357. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and 68 acres in wood; the surface is undulated, the scenery pleasing, and the soil various. The whole, with the exception of the rectory and church lands, belongs to the Duke of Grafton, who is lord of the manor. The Grand Junction canal, entering the parish by means of a tunnel from the parish of Stoke-Bruerne, continues its course northward towards Braunston; and the Northampton canal branches out of it, at the extremity of the parish. Much good stone for lime and building is sent by canal to the neighbouring counties. Here also is a station on the line of the railway, which passes a short distance from the village, and has a cutting through blue limestone rock, about two miles long, with an average depth of fifty feet: the quantity of rock removed was estimated at 1,200,000 cubic yards, and the expense of the cutting at £200,000. The Peterborough railway commences at Blisworth; it passes close to the town of Northampton, and through the heart of the county, by Wellingborough, Higham-Ferrers, and Thrapstone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 3. 9.; net income, £435; patron and incumbent, the Rev. William Barry. The glebehouse, built in 1841, is in the Elizabethan style. As a commutation in lieu of tithes, with the exception of the tithe of underwood, land and a money-payment were assigned in 1808: the tithe of underwood was commuted in 1845. The church is an ancient edifice with a square tower, and contains a tomb to an ancestor of the Wake family of Courteenhall. The Baptists have a place of worship. A free school is endowed with £10. 4. 7. per annum, paid by the crown.