Blechingdon (St. Giles)
BLECHINGDON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Woodstock; containing 638 inhabitants. It is bordered on the south-west by the Oxford canal; and contains quarries of stone well adapted for building and paving. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 9. 4½., and in the gift of Queen's College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £272. 18., and the glebe consists of 209½ acres. Leonard Power, by will in 1620, endowed an almshouse for four poor persons; it was rebuilt about the end of the last century, and £33 per annum are assigned for the support of the inmates. Dr. Mills, Principal of St. Edmund's Hall, Oxford, and author of the Prolegomena, was rector of the parish; he was interred in the church, and a handsome monument has been erected to his memory.