Bleadon (St. Peter)
BLEADON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of Somerset, 5¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Axbridge; containing, with the hamlets of Oldmixton and Shipslade, 778 inhabitants. It comprises 2745 acres, whereof 854 are common or waste. The navigable river Axe passes through the parish, and a considerable trade in coal is carried on. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £27. 7. 8½.; net income, £469, patron, the Bishop of Winchester. Meric Casaubon, D.D., an eminent critic and divine, and son of the celebrated Isaac Casaubon, was collated to the benefice about 1624. Here are vestiges of a British settlement, but the Roman road on which it stood can scarcely be traced; and there are several barrows on an eminence in the vicinity.