Bladon (St. Martin)
BLADON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Woodstock, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 2 miles (S.) from Woodstock; containing, with the hamlet of Hensington, 687 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Woodstock annexed, valued in the king's books at £16. 0. 5.; net income, £329; patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church was built at the expense of the third duke, in 1804, when the former, a fine ancient edifice, was taken down. A fortification, supposed to be of Saxon origin, existed here; and some records of a battle fought at this place are extant.