Blacon, with Crab-wall
BLACON, with Crab-wall, a township, in the parish of Holy Trinity, Chester, union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Chester, on the road to Parkgate; containing 61 inhabitants. The manor appears to have been in the Mainwaring family at the time of the Domesday survey, and to have passed by successive female heirs to the Trussels, and the Veres, earls of Oxford; it was sold by the latter to Sir Christopher Hatton, and subsequently passed to the noble family of Crewe. The township comprises 1112 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable and one-third grass land: the soil is a strong clay. The Ellesmere canal passes through the township. Crabwall Hall, is a handsome mansion, lately built by Samuel Farmer, Esq.