BLACKWALL, a hamlet, in the parish of Stepney, borough of Tower Hamlets, union of Poplar, Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 4 miles (E.) from Cornhill, London. This place, which is situated near the influx of the river Lea into the Thames, consists chiefly of a few irregularlyformed streets, which are paved, and lighted with gas: the houses, many of which are of wood, and of mean appearance, are inhabited chiefly by shipwrights, and persons employed in the docks; they are supplied with water by the East London Company. It has long been noted for a very large private yard for ship-building, and a wet-dock, once belonging to Mr. Perry: the former was purchased by Sir Robert Wigram, Bart., and is still applied to the same use; and the latter by the East India Dock Company, for the formation of their docks, which were commenced in 1804, and completed in 1806. These docks, situated at the eastern extremity of the hamlet, and surrounded by a lofty wall, consist of an outer and an inner dock, communicating by locks and flood-gates; the entrance from the river is by a basin, nearly three acres in extent, from which vessels sail directly into the docks. At Blackwall reach, adjoining the hamlet, are the West India docks, similarly constructed, but upon a more extensive scale. In 1836, an act was obtained for making a railway from Fenchurch-street, London, to Blackwall, with branches to the East and West India docks; and this work, which was begun with a capital of £600,000, afterwards augmented, was opened to the public 4th July, 1840: the station is on an extensive scale, and the offices fronting the Brunswick wharf have a very imposing effect from the river. An act was passed in 1846, empowering the Eastern Counties Railway Company to make a line from the Pepper warehouses at the East India docks to the Thames Junction railway in Essex: the line is about three furlongs in length.See London.