BLACKTOFT, a parish, in the union of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York; comprising the townships of Blacktoft and Scalby, in which latter is included the extra-parochial place of Cheapsides; and containing 552 inhabitants, of whom 333 are in the township of Blacktoft, 8 miles (E. S. E.) from Howden. The parish consists by computation of 2241 acres: the surface is level; the soil has been latterly much improved by warping, and is now well drained. The views are very fine, and include the adjacent hills of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. The village is situated on the northern bank of the Ouse, one mile above its confluence with the Trent, and occasionally vessels ride opposite to it, its roads affording the best anchorage between Hull and Selby; the steam-packets of those places pass daily. The river is very broad in this part, and leaves at low water an extensive bed of sand, which is used for the ballasting of small craft. The Hull and Selby railway crosses the parish near Scalby. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and has a net income of £198, by augmentation from the patrons, with a new and convenient parsonage-house. The tithes of the township of Blacktoft have been commuted for £568, payable to the Dean and Chapter. The church is a neat substantial edifice, built in 1841.