BLACKFORD, a chapelry, in the parish of Wedmore, union of Axbridge, hundred of Bempstone, E. division of Somerset, 5¼ miles (S. by W.) from Axbridge. It comprises by measurement 1600 acres; stone of good quality for building is quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Wedmore, with a net income of £105: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £150, and the impropriate glebe comprises 20 acres. The chapel is a modern building, towards defraying the expense of which the Incorporated Society gave £200. The manor was given as part of the endowment of Bruton Hospital, by Hugh Saxey, Esq., the founder; and two boys are annually sent from this place to be educated at that institution. Here is a mineral spring.