Blackauton (St. Michael)
BLACKAUTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Coleridge, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Dartmouth; containing, with the chapelry of Street, 1449 inhabitants, of whom 420 are in the village of Blackauton. It comprises 5217 acres, of which 105 are common or waste; the soil is in general good, the surface hilly. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 8. 9.; net income, £122; patron, Sir H. P. Seale, Bart.; impropriator, A. Welland, Esq.: the glebe consists of 9 acres, with a residence. The church contains a Norman font, and a wooden screen richly carved. An additional church has been built at Street, containing 400 sittings, of which 200 are free, the Incorporated Society having granted £250 towards the expense: the Vicar is patron. There is a place of worship for a congregation of Wesleyans.