Blaby (All Saints)
BLABY (All Saints), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5 miles (S. W.) from Leicester; containing, with the chapelry of Countessthorp, 1896 inhabitants. It is intersected by the Union canal, and comprises 1250 acres, exclusively of the chapelry, which consists of 1200 acres; the soil is various, and the surface generally level. The worsted manufacture is carried on to a considerable extent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £350. On the inclosure of waste in 1776, an allotment of 400 acres was assigned in lieu of tithes. There is a chapel of ease at Countessthorp; and the parish contains places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. The poor law union of Blaby comprises 22 parishes and places, and contains a population of 13,699.