Bixley (St. Wandegisilus)
BIXLEY (ST. WANDEGISILUS), a parish, in the union and hundred of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Norwich; comprising 640 acres of arable and pasture, and containing 110 inhabitants. The road from Norwich to Bury passes through the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Earl-Framingham united, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £608; patrons, the family of Brereton. The church is an ancient edifice, built by William de Dunwich, in 1272, and was formerly the resort of numerous pilgrims to the shrine of its tutelar saint.