Bitteswell (St. Mary)
BITTESWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Lutterworth; containing 495 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Hinckley to Lutterworth, and near the Midland railway; it comprises by measurement 1729 acres, of which the soil is strong, the surface flat, and the land chiefly pasture. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 3. 0½.; net income, £428, arising from 306 acres of land apportioned in lieu of tithes; patrons, alternately, the Haberdashers' Company, and the Governors of Christ's Hospital, London, to whom also the impropriation belongs. The church is a handsome structure, in the decorated English style. The Roman Watling-street passes along the verge of the parish. There is a mineral spring.