Bitchfield (St. Mary Magdalene)
BITCHFIELD (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Beltisloe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (N. by W.) from Corby, and 8 (S. E. by S.) from Grantham; comprising about 1360 acres, and containing 160 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 5½.; net income, £134; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln; there are about 5 acres of glebe. The church was consecrated and endowed by Hugh de Wells, who presided over the diocese from the year 1209 to 1234. There are some remains of a Roman encampment.