BISTERN-CLOSES, a district, in the parish and hundred of Ringwood, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S.) from the town of Ringwood; containing, with the tything of Bistern with Crow, 562 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road to Christchurch, and on the river Avon, which abounds with excellent trout, grayling, and other fish. The old chapel formerly attached to the House here was taken down many years since, and a church has been erected at an expense of £1000, on a site given by J. Miles, Esq.: the living is a curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Ringwood. There are several barrows, and some remains of a Roman encampment.