BISPHAM, a township, in the ecclesiastical district of Mawdesley, parish of Croston, union of Ormskirk, hundred of Leyland, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Ormskirk; containing 306 inhabitants. This is a richly cultivated district, situated near the Douglas river, and opposite to Burscough; it comprises 413 acres, of which 262 are pasture, and 151 arable. The Stanleys, earls of Derby, have long possessed what is called the lordship, but it is merely a fictitious manor: the Hall, a plain stone building, erected in the 16th century, is the property of Lord Skelmersdale. The tithes have been commuted for £147. 10. payable to the rector of Chorley, and £20 to the rector and vicar of Croston. A free grammar school here, founded by Richard Durning in 1692, is endowed with an estate producing about £150 per annum. Peter Lathom, of this place, in 1700, left property, now producing £340 per year, to bind apprentices, and to the poor of Bispham, in common with Mawdesley, Ormskirk, Rufford, Newburgh, Burscough, and Dalton.