Bishopstrow (St. Adelme)
BISHOPSTROW (St. Adelme), a parish, in the union and hundred of Warminster, Warminster and S. divisions of Wilts, 1½ mile (E. S. E.) from Warminster; containing 296 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Wily, and bounded on the north by the Downs; and comprises 1030 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10., and in the gift of Sir Dugdale Astley, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £225, and there are about 11 acres of glebe. In the parish is an estate called the Berries, supposed to have been a Roman station, where in 1791 two earthen vessels were found, containing several thousand small brass coins of the Lower Empire; there is also a meadow called Pitmead, where, in 1786, a discovery was made of the remains of some extensive Roman villas, and of several tessellated pavements within them.