BISHOPSTONE, a parish, in the union of Newhaven, hundred of Bishopstone, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 1¼ mile (N. W. by N.) from Seaford; containing 288 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1810a. 10p., of which 1040 acres are arable, and 770 down and pasture land; it is bounded on the west by the river Ouse, and on the south by the English Channel, which within the last twenty years has made considerable encroachment on the land. The road from Newhaven to Seaford passes through. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 4.; patron, the Bishop of Chichester; net income, £88. The church is an ancient structure in the early Norman style, with a tower. The Rev. James Hurdis, D.D., professor of poetry in the University of Oxford, and author of the Village Curate and other interesting poems, was born in the hamlet of Norton, in the parish, in 1763, and was buried in the church. On the Downs are several barrows.