Birdham (St. Leonard)
BIRDHAM (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of West Hampnett, hundred of Manhood, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Chichester; containing 506 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1750 acres, and is intersected by the Portsmouth and Arun canal, which terminates at Chichester harbour, by which Birdham is partly bounded on the north: the soil is a rich, strong, hazel mould, and good wheat land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 0. 10.; net income, £396; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester: there are about 14 acres of glebe. The church consists of a nave and chancel, with a heavy square embattled tower.