BIRCH, a village, in the parish of Middleton, union of Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2½ miles (W. N. W.) from Middleton. This place is half-way between Rochdale and Manchester: the road from Manchester to Heywood runs through the village; and the Rochdale canal, and Manchester and Leeds railway, pass along the eastern side of the district chapelry of Birch. The spinning of cotton, and the manufacture of gingham, are carried on to a limited extent. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Middleton, with a net income of £150; there is a parsonage-house. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built by means of a parliamentary grant of £4000, and consecrated Dec. 11th, 1828. Attached is a district formed out of the parishes of Middleton and Bury. A national school is connected with the church.